Here is a top ten, daily schedule for most writers.
1. Write, write and write some more ! But the practice is not the goal. Learning to find better ways to write is!
2. Reading is a kind of research for an expert or novice. We learn how to be better at something by finding good product. Find your love or idols and copy from them. Steal the stuff from many rather than one. Like it is said in the Artist’s Way, stealing from one is plagerism, but from many is more original. We copy and build on what we like. We actually use it in different ways. This list is similar to many but it focuses in on what I am or love.
3. Journal: there are many things that catch the eye, or somethings just come and this is good to discuss with others. But the journal is like all of this plus a record and a piece of the writer’s routine.
4. Set up an environment: writing times everyday like 6-7 every morning and 6-7 every night. Keep a home office, use devices like an eReader, writers mobile table for hand writing anywhere, books and bookshelves and everything else.
5. Meditate. 30 minutes first thing in the morning and last thing a night.
6. Rest, schedule coffee breaks and just goof off from time to time…
7. Sleep a good 7 hours each night and set up a routine or ritual to encourage a healthy practice.
8: Exercise: have a good workout routine to aspire to and practice a good walk and keep mobile and active.
9. Practice good habits to replace the bad with the end in mind: eliminate the bad ones. Don’t be a saint but learn to become healthier each day.
10. Be ambitious and keep your day job until you can afford to be a writer. Find ways to be the student and teacher and write each day.